Tomorrow is a fast growing eCommerce agency that works with some of the largest and most innovative brands and retailers in the world. We partner closely with Shopify, allowing us to be on the cutting edge of technology and eCommerce, and providing us with a vast ecosystem of talent and opportunities.
Our vision is to build the best Shopify agency in the world. Our team members are driven by our passion for eCommerce and our desire to do great work.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
Tomorrow is looking for a Design Director responsible for effectively defining the direction of every project they touch, from concept through design executions and into development handoff. Driving innovation in frontend design, partnering closely with frontend technology, Design Directors are establishing the look-and-feel that our agency is recognized for.
The role resides within the creative team and focuses on eCommerce websites and associated digital marketing assets.
Projects range from branding, packaging, ux-experience assistance, emails, ad units, social posts, to promotional and product marketing campaigns, landing pages, editorials and more. The Design Director reports to the Senior Design Director and the Creative Director, and oversees a growing team of designers and freelancers.
- Able to express their ideas clearly and confidently.
- Internally promote creative improvement and accountability of our department, while supported by the value of servant leadership.
- Establish our creative processes and collaborate across teams and within the creative department to continually streamline where necessary.
- Collaborate with senior designers and supervise designers.
- Assist with onboarding new designers.
- Help mentor and educate senior designers and designers to ensure they are learning and advancing their skills at Tomorrow.
- Become a source of knowledge for design tools from Figma to Shopify design.
- Be a motivational resource to the design team and encouraging a positive morale from 1:1 meetings, departmentally, and cross-departmentally.
- Assist in leading client relationships in partnership with Product Management.
- Comprehensive understanding of our clients’ creative needs and their strategic and business objectives.
- Make design decisions based on strong creative point of view, industry best-practice and experience, and supported by research and data.
- Ensure all designs work across all browsers and on all devices, leaning in particularly to the mobile experience.
- Distill complex requirements into simple and elegant solutions.
- Oversee the full lifecycle of project design:
- Digital Design: from sketches and wireframes to visual design and functional prototypes.
- Handoff to Frontend: Review UAT development work, ensuring our designs are correctly implemented, and making edits as necessary.
- Branding Projects: from ideation, research, moodboarding to mockups and finished designs.
- Describe designs clearly and concisely in all verbal and written communications with clients. Confidently engage with new clients and lead new and ongoing client presentations.
- Deliver designs consistently while maintaining a meticulous eye for detail and accuracy.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- A strong working knowledge of what goes into successful branding, web best practices, photography direction, and overall creative direction and how to manifest this knowledge in the creative output of Tomorrow.
- Promote continual creative improvement and contribute to a culture of craftsmanship, excellence and accountability.
- Experience in a diverse field of work including web design, branding, campaign creative, product photography, and editorial direction.
- Expertise in digital design and brand identity work with a diverse portfolio.
- Bachelors degree and 6+ years agency or in-house design experience.
- Deep understanding of industry basic design principles and a passion for emerging web technologies and branding.
- Excellent grasp of the design thinking and prototyping process, including product, interaction, and visual. A deep understanding of how to move from pencil on paper to layout design to pixel-perfect handoff using tools such as Figma, Sketch, Invision, or Zeplin.
- Able to work efficiently under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Expert communication and presentation skills with ability to clearly present work and articulate/advocate design rationale.
- Has the foresight to see upcoming issues and plans ahead to ensure all deadlines are met and expectations are established to the client.